Program Coordinator VISTA
Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful (KTMB) is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to creating a cleaner, more beautiful region through education and active community involvement. In 2014, KTMB celebrates 25 years of stewardship in Northern Nevada. KTMB is private Nevada nonprofit supported by individual and community donations providing an alternative to litter and illegal dumping through community education and cleanup/beautification projects in the Truckee Meadows.
The Warrior Workshops program is a new program designed to inspire students to be stewards of our community’s air, land and water through KTMB’s Waste Warriors, Weed Warriors and Watershed Warriors educational videos and curriculum. Students will engage in S.T.E.M. based, hands-on lessons with the goal of developing stewards for the future, as well as improved academic engagement and better preparation for educational success.
The Warrior Workshops Program Coordinator VISTA will be an essential member of KTMB’s team. This person will develop the Warriors Workshop program, including developing relationships with Washoe County schools administration and teachers, enhancing curriculum, outlining a sustainable structure and training teachers and volunteers. The VISTA will coordinate in-the-field experiences for students and teachers as requested, as well as support community volunteer experiences through KTMB’s Adopt-A-Spot program (adoption of open space, park, river, and roadway) under the supervision of KTMB’s Program Manager.
Service Location: Reno, NV
Timeline for Service: February 10, 2015 – February 9, 2016
- Develop Warrior Workshops program structure utilizing KTMB’s educational videos and curriculum, aligned with Next Generation Science Standards;
- Develop partnerships with school administrators and teachers;
- Spearhead the implementation of the Warrior Workshops pilot year program;
- Develop and implement teacher training workshops based on Warrior Workshops Program;
- Support KTMB’s Adopt-A-Spot program with volunteer coordination and training.
- Passionate commitment to KTMB’s mission and vision;
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
Exceptional writing skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- High degree of initiative and spirit of service;
- Experience working with teachers and volunteers;
- Preferred: strong understanding of education standards and experience in curriculum development;
- Preferred: experience teaching in formal or informal settings;
- Preferred: experience working with or managing volunteers;
- Preferred: Reading, writing and speaking competency in Spanish language.
KTMB’s Program Coordinator VISTA position is funded by the Corporations for National and Community Service and will serve within the AmeriCorps VISTA program. AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Each VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. To learn more about the AmeriCorps programs visit the National Community and Service website.
In return for their service, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance of $983/month, health benefits during their service and have the option of receiving a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,500.00 or post-service stipend of $1,500.00 after completing their service.
Send a cover letter and resume to Jaime Souza at Jaime@ktmb.org
Applications are also accepted through myamericorps.gov website. Search for Warrior Workshops. Deadline for applications is December 15, 2014.
Email/call Jaime at 775.851.5185 for more information.