Education Coordinator VISTA
The Education Coordinator VISTA will work primarily to build the Warriors Youth Education program, which is designed to inspire students to be stewards of our community’s air, land, and water.
The Education Coordinator VISTA will work to build and grow the Warriors Youth Education program, which is designed to inspire students to be stewards of our community’s air, land, and water through KTMB’s Waste Warriors, Weed Warriors and Watershed Warriors educational videos and curriculum. KTMB’s Warriors Youth Education program engages students in S.T.E.M. based, hands-on learning activities with the goal of developing stewards for the future, as well as improved academic engagement and better preparation for educational success.
KTMB is a private, 501 (c) (3) nonprofit dedicated to creating a cleaner, more beautiful region through education and active community involvement. For over 25 years, KTMB has been working with businesses, municipalities, community groups and individuals to keep our open space areas, the Truckee River, business corridors, and neighborhoods beautiful for all to enjoy through our beautification, cleanup, and education programs and projects.
The Education Coordinator VISTA will be an essential member of KTMB’s team. This person will primarily work to build and grow KTMB’s Warriors Youth Education program by developing relationships with Washoe County School District administration and teachers, enhancing curriculum, outlining a sustainable structure and training teachers to teach the from the lesson plans. KTMB’s Warriors Youth Education program targets underserved schools to empower students to problem-solve neighborhood blight and other environmental issues that lower the quality of life, health and economy in the Truckee Meadows. This VISTA will also develop a field trip program for underserved elementary / primary grade students to KTMB’s Sensory Garden at Idlewild Park and develop summer-based youth programming and partnerships. Finally, this VISTA will outreach to the adult community in the Truckee Meadows to increase volunteerism, organizational support and awareness for our natural resources.
Service Location: Reno, NV
Timeline for Service: February 2016 – February 2017
- Continue to develop KTMB’s Warrior Youth Education program;
- Enhance curriculum and standards alignment with Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards;
- Continue to develop and maintain partnerships with school administrators and teachers;
- Coordinate teacher trainings;
- Design and facilitate a field trip program for primary grade students to KTMB’s Sensory Garden at Idlewild Park;
- Create new partnerships to increase summer youth education programming;
- Improve and oversee adult education and community outreach through KTMB’s Speakers Bureau program.
- Passionate commitment to KTMB’s mission and vision;
- Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental science, or related field;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- High degree of initiative and spirit of service;
- Experience working with teachers and volunteers;
- Preferred: strong understanding of education standards and experience in curriculum development;
- Preferred: experience teaching in formal or informal settings;
- Preferred: experience working for environmental education centers, nature centers, and / or summer camps;
- Preferred: Reading, writing and speaking competency in Spanish language.
KTMB’s Program Coordinator VISTA position is funded by the Corporations for National and Community Service and will serve within the AmeriCorps VISTA program. AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Each VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. To learn more about the AmeriCorps programs visit americorps.gov.
In return for their service, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance of $980/month, health benefits during their service and have the option of receiving a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,730.00 or post-service stipend of $1,500.00 after completing their service. A relocation travel allowance of no less than $550 may also apply if they are moving.
Send a cover letter and resume to Jaime Souza at Jaime@ktmb.org
Applications are also accepted through AmeriCorps.gov. Search for Warrior Workshops. Deadline for applications is Friday, December 11, 2015.