Careers at KTMB
Dedicated to creating a cleaner, more beautiful region through education and active community involvement.
Youth Educator Position Description
Under general supervision of the Program Director, the Youth Educator is primarily responsible for the day-to-day management of youth education programs related to the mission and vision of Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful (KTMB). The Youth Educator consults with the Program Committee under the leadership of the KTMB Board of Directors and Executive Director to strategically plan and set priorities for KTMB youth education programs.
- Responsible for program and presentation logistics and implementation including correspondence with teachers, school administrators, and educational partners;
- Facilitate classroom presentations, field trips to KTMB’s Sensory Garden, and Service Learning efforts, and other community education presentations;
- Consult with Program Committee to strategically plan and set priorities for KTMB’s Education Program;
- Create and sustain relationships and partnerships with representatives from the Washoe County School District, GREENevada, other Northern Nevada schools, and community partners;
- Respond to educational programs, presentation requests and inquiries in a timely manner;
- Work with Operations Manager to implement KTMB educational programs within the parameters of the program budget; and
- Coordinate and facilitate two annual teacher trainings for local teachers on Waste, Weed and Watershed Warriors.
- Enhance and update KTMB’s Warriors Youth Education and Sensory Garden curriculum as needed and maintain alignment with Nevada Academic Content Standards and Next Generation Science Standards;
- Develop and implement plan to make KTMB’s Waste and Weed Warriors curriculum STEAM certified;
- Train, manage and support the Youth Education AmeriCorps;
- Maintain program supply inventory, especially at the end of each quarter (school year calendar);
- Track quantifiable information, including students and schools reached, program outcomes and results, and in-kind donations after each completed project;
- Evaluate program effectiveness (i.e., distribute surveys to teachers after each presentation, review feedback, and strategically implement suggestions and ideas to improve the education program on an annual basis); and
- Keep accurate electronic database files for lists of schools and teachers.
- Attend community events to promote KTMB mission and programs
Other Duties As Assigned
- A bachelor’s degree and/or two years’ experience in a related field such as teaching
- Excellent communications skills, including writing, telephone, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well with diverse individuals and organizations.
- Computer experience and competence, especially with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access and Publisher) as well as e-mail/website/internet applications.
- Must have reliable all weather transportation and must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to lift 20 or more pounds.
- Teaching credentials and/or Master’s Degree preferred
- Passion for environment and/or community development
- 2 years of professional work experience in curriculum development, lesson planning, and have a familiarity with NGSS and academic standards. Preferred supervisory experience.
- A sense of humor
Benefits: Flexible hours and friendly working environment. Three percent of salary to SEP IRA retirement benefit, and an additional ten percent of salary paid in lieu of health insurance.
Hours: Standard work week, additionally may work evenings, and weekends. Flex hours to accommodate activities and representing the organization at public events.
Salary Range: $35K-$40K
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm April 26, 2019. No phone calls please.